pharmacy health

Thursday 5 March 2009

How to Lesson the Discomfort of Hemorrhoids

Though hemorrhoids are not harmful to your health they can make you extremely uncomfortable when they flare up. I know because I have had them and have looked high and low for a way to get rid of them once and for all. The discomfort of hemorrhoids can be slight discomfort for some people to indescribable irritation to others. For me it is the latter, making my life really miserable.

Hemorrhoids are the swelling of blood vessels in and around the rectum area. The two most common reasons people get hemorrhoids are age and pregnancy. As you get older you have a greater chance of having the problem. This is sometimes the case for people over the age of 50. Women who are pregnant are also susceptible to the problem.

You can experience flare ups by a number of ways. Many times the problem can be present and the person doesn't know they have it because they are not bothered by it. But once you put some kind of strain of them they tend to grow and stretch which can lead to pain or in my case itching.

If you think you have them you can consult your doctor for advice and medication to relieve any itching or pain. Symptoms include itching or burning, discomfort of pain or sometimes blood. He might prescribe one of the many brands of topical ointments to help with the discomfort. There are also many natural and non-medical ways to ease the discomfort and irritation.

There are many over the counter products that might help you. To help with the itching and burning you can visit your pharmacy and have the pharmacist recommend a topical cream to help sooth or relieve the symptoms. A few have worked for me and I tend to stick with a brand that helps me the most.

Another home remedy that sometimes works is soaking in a warm bath. This can take the discomfort away for awhile. If you have swelling you can apply an ice pack which are readily available at your local pharmacy to the area. This will help reduce the swelling.

If you experience problems with bowel movement a stool softener may be recommended to help you avoid straining. Also eating foods rich in fiber can also help in place of the stool softener. I found that when I changed to a high fiber diet I had less problems with my hemorrhoids and when they went a way they came back a lot less.

Also, it is very important that you keep the area clean. I have used baby wipes that my wife bought at the pharmacy. They also make over the counter wipes for hemorrhoids which you can get at the drug store. For me both worked well.

Usually the symptoms of your hemorrhoids will go away on their own after awhile. At least for me it I just have to be patient to wait them out. If you are in doubt you should check with your doctor to also see that there are no underlying medical conditions causes your discomfort. Otherwise they are normally just an annoyance rather than a potential health threat.


newshealth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home